Social Justice calls us to become aware of how society is structured in its institutions, laws, educational and business practices. We are challenged to see whether dignity is respected, human rights are promoted, and true development is facilitated. Click below to view the Anti-Human Trafficking newsletter we help sponsor.
Benedictines for Peace
All the members of Mount St. Scholastica are involved with Benedictines for Peace in works of charity and works of justice:
- The World Peace Prayer is prayed daily in St. Lucy Chapel by those who live in Dooley Center.
- Leadership is offered to the Hunger Task Force of Atchison which responds to basic needs of shelter, utilities, medicine, food, and transportation to Atchison area residents.
- Cooperation with the Atchison Ministerial Alliance is provided by involvement in special events e.g. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration, Lenten soup and sermon series.
- Victims of natural disasters receive a contribution to aid those in need.
- Sisters work weekly at the Atchison Catholic Charities Food Distribution Center.
- Sisters offer spiritual services for both men and women in the Atchison County Jail and the Kansas State Prison.
- Sisters participation in the Poor Peoples Campaign in this region.
- Sisters help crochet sleeping bags from plastic bags for those in transition.
- Sisters assisted the immigrants at Annunciation House at the El Paso, TX border.
- Sisters teach or volunteer on the board of Donnelly College and facilitate a food pantry at the College.
- Sisters sign letters to both state and federal congresspersons a couple times a year regarding a social justice issue.