Social Justice calls us to become aware of how society is structured in its institutions, laws, educational and business practices. We are challenged to see whether dignity is respected, human rights are promoted, and true development is facilitated. Click below to view the Anti-Human Trafficking newsletter we help sponsor.
Benedictines for Peace
All the members of Mount St. Scholastica are involved with Benedictines for Peace in works of charity and works of justice:
- The World Peace Prayer is prayed daily in St. Lucy Chapel by those who live in Dooley Center.
- Sisters participate in the Hunger Task Force of Atchison, which responds to basic needs of shelter, utilities, medicine, food, and transportation to Atchison area residents.
- Sisters advocate for pay equity among restaurant workers and others in service fields.
- Sisters collaborate with the Atchison Ministerial Alliance, including involvement in special events, e.g. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration, Lenten soup and sermon series.
- Victims of natural disasters receive a contribution to aid those in need.
- Sisters supported religious communities providing shelter and safety to refugees during Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the aftermath of the Afghanistan conflict.
- Sisters work weekly at the Atchison Catholic Charities Food Distribution Center.
- Sisters offer spiritual services for both men and women in the Atchison County Jail and the Kansas State Prison.
- Sisters and Oblates of Mount St. Scholastica assist immigrants at the Mexican border through collaboration with Catholic Charities in El Paso, Laredo and San Antonio in Texas, and San Diego, California.
- Sisters teach or volunteer on the board of Donnelly College and facilitate a food pantry at the College.
- Sisters serve on the board of Riverbend Habitat for Humanity and assist with construction projects.
- Sisters participated in the Juneteenth memorial commemorating the lynching of George Johnson in Atchison by a white mob in 1870.
- Sisters sign letters to state and federal elected representatives regarding social justice issues.