Sophia Spirituality Center
Office Manager (full time)
Sophia Spirituality Center, in Atchison, Kansas, is seeking to hire an office manager to provide general administrative support to the staff and exemplary customer service to guests who come for retreats. Grounded in the rich monastic tradition of prayer and hospitality, Sophia Center welcomes men and women of all faiths who are searching for God, for peace, and for meaning in their lives through offerings which foster spiritual and personal growth.
The ideal candidate will be steeped in Benedictine values, responsible, detail-oriented, have excellent verbal and written skills, and be available most Friday nights and Saturdays. Experience with the unique environment of Catholic ministry is a plus.
This position provides general administrative support for the retreat center and provides exemplary customer service. The director will mentor the employee in all facets of administration and management.
Sophia Spirituality Center, a ministry of the Benedictine Sisters of Mount St. Scholastica, is committed to creating a welcoming environment for all guests coming for private retreats, program offerings, or to use our space for meetings or retreats. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
The mission of Sophia is: Grounded in the rich monastic tradition of prayer and hospitality, Sophia Center welcomes men and women of all faiths who are searching for God, for peace, and for meaning in their lives through offerings which foster spiritual and personal growth.
Sophia operates with these values:
- Welcoming and Inclusive: We are welcoming, inclusive and nurturing. We invite all to join us in making connections and lifelong friendships.
- Building community: We believe in the strength of community and we seek to cultivate a sense of belonging in all we do.
- Enriching mind + body + spirit: We help individuals live a physically, intellectually, and emotionally healthy lifestyle as they grow in their relationship to God and others.
- Passing on our Catholic tradition in a monastic setting: We celebrate and pass on the values, culture, history, and traditions of our Benedictine community.
- Treating others as we wish to be treated: We treat everyone with respect, dignity and loving kindness.
- Continuing to learn: We value life-long learning and provide opportunities for staff to grow.
- Manages guest registration, prepares nametags and room tags. Assigns bedrooms
- Manages preparation of invoices, collects fees, and keeps accurate records
- Answers phones and interacts in person with staff, visitors and guests. Provides directions and information, listens to feedback and assists with a wide variety of needs with patience and courtesy
- Provides general clerical and administrative support to other staff members as needed
- Responds to guests via e-mail and phone in a timely and friendly manner when they are registering for a program or seeking information
- Helps prepare announcements for church bulletins, e-newsletter, mailings
- Helps prepare/serve refreshments as needed
- Helps ensure that bedrooms and meeting spaces are ready for guests
- Covers at the volunteer desk when there is no volunteer
- Assists the director with essential tasks as needed or requested
- All other duties as requested
- Responsible to the Director whom she/he updates on a regular basis
- 3-5 years of experience working successfully in an office setting, a church office, or similar place of employment
- Works well with others in a collaborative setting
- Exhibits excellent verbal and written skills
- Is able to work Friday evenings and Saturday hours on a regular/almost weekly basis
- Is proficient in Microsoft Office products: Word, Excel, Publisher, as well as e-mail and google calendar
- Is proficient in publishing on social media platforms
- Has experience working with office machines such as printers, copiers, laminating equipment
- Is detail-oriented and able to accurately record registrations, invoices, payments, etc.
- Provides exemplary customer service skills and is able to serve a diverse clientele in a respectful and helpful manner
- Is able to multi-task
- Is extremely reliable
- Is able to speak softly to maintain an environment that supports the center’s mission
- Is able to assist with moving furniture and lifting boxes and such things
- Is able to move freely from one building to another to assist in preparing for and serving guests
We offer competitive salaries based on education and experience, good benefits, and an excellent working environment.
If you are qualified for this position and are passionate about our mission, we look forward to hearing from you.
Hard copies mailed to Sophia are preferred. Please send your resume and a cover letter to:
Sophia Spirituality Center
751 South 8th
Atchison, KS 66002
NO phone calls please.
With your resume and cover letter, please include a response to these questions:
- Why do you want this position?
- What has been the greatest contribution you’ve made in your previous position?
- What personal qualities or experience do you think would make you successful in this role?
- We take great pride in being a Benedictine Retreat Center. Describe your familiarity with Benedictine values and what you think that means here at Sophia.
- A top priority for us as we seek to fill this position is finding a person with skills but also who is able to work flexible hours, especially Friday nights and Saturdays. Please describe your availability and willingness to meet the needs of our guests.