Photo Gallery: Keeler Women's Center Tenth Anniversary Luncheon
12 July 2013
Keeler Women's Center is a ministry of the Benedictine Sisters of Mount St. Scholastica Atchison, KS. Its mission is to empower women in the urban core of Kansas City through education, advocacy, personal and spiritual development. On 12 July, 2013, Keeler celebrated its tenth anniversary with a luncheon for their staff, volunteers, women they serve, their friends, and the sisters of the Mount.
This video was produced by JD Benning and narrated by PBS reporter Judy Valente for the 10th anniversary of Keeler Women's Center in Kansas City, Kansas. It celebrates the many ways in which women are served, and connects today's works with the sisters' traditional commitment to the betterment of women, including their role in the education and development of the late Kenyan Nobel Peace Prize winner, Wangari Maathai, whose daughter Wanjira spoke at the anniversary event. You can see Wangira's talk here.
Under the direction of volunteer Deb Campbell, the Keeler Theatre Troupe presented a closing prayer. You can view the prayer here.
Some photos of the event (taken by Rox Stec).
- A group of sisters look over the program before the luncheon begins.
- Sisters Loretta McGuire (left) and Joyce Meyers (middle) enjoy the meal.
- Nearly 700 people attended the luncheon.
- SIster Anne Shepard, Prioress, prepares to address the group.
- Wanjira Mathai, daughter of Nobel Peace Laureate Wangari Maathai, was the keynote speaker.
- Sister Carol Ann Petersen, Keeler Women's Center Director, addresses and thanks the group.
- The volunteer Keeler Theatre Troupe presents the closing prayer for the luncheon.
- Sister Mary Elizabeth Schweiger