Sisters travel to Brazil in January
A photo travel journal
Several Atchison Benedictine sisters are traveling to Brazil in January 2016 for the final profession of Sister Ironide Nunes on Jan. 24 at our dependent monastery, Irmas Beneditinas in Mineiros.
Two events today. First, newly renovated spaces in the house in Brazil received a blessing. Then, sisters visited Sister Maria das Gracas Silva at her school, meeting her colleagues and her students.
Sisters celebrated the safe arrival of Sisters Elaine Gregory and Rita Killackey from Kansas with another feast.
The Brazilian sisters prepared a feast on January 10 to celebrate the Baptism of Our Lord. Sister Giselia Inacio Morais demonstrated how to grill various meats for a Brazilian dinner. Thanks for sharing the photos, Sisters Grace Malaney and Anne Shepard!
The first delegation to arrive included Sisters Anne Shepard, Grace Malaney and Susan Barber, who left Kansas on January 3. They brought with them artwork for the walls of the renovated monastery, including copies of icons written by Sister Paula Howard, one of Sister Eleanor Suther’s quilts, tapestries and an original John August Swanson print, the Madonna of the Harvest, as well as a reprint of his Festival of Lights.
This gallery will be updated as more photos and news arrives from Brazil, so check back often!
- Sisters Eliene Batista Gouvea and Ironide Nunes with a quilt by Sister Eleanor Suther.
- Sister Giselia Inacio Morais with her favorite artwork.
- Sister Maria das Gracas Silva shows her favorite artwork arriving from Atchison.
- Sister Joselaine Ferreira admires a quilt by Sister Eleanor Suther.
- Sister Eliene Batista Gouvea
- Sisters Ironide Nunes and Maria das Gracas Silva examine the artwork that arrived from Atchison.
- The Nativity set at the Cathedral in Mineiros.
- Sister Ironide Nunes with an icon written by Sister Paula Howard.
- Sister Joselaine Ferreira prepares a fruit bowl.
- Sister Susan Barber cuts up mango for a salad.
- Sister Giselia Inacio Morais shows off the fish that will be part of dinner.
- Sister Giselia Inacio Morais prepares meat for the grill.
- Sister Grace Malaney says the aroma of the roasting meat was wonderful.
- Sisters Grace Malaney, Maria das Gracas Silva and Ironide Nunes took an afternoon stroll.
- Sister Ironide Nunes with some of the beautiful flowers of Brazil.
- Sisters Giselia Inacio Morais and Elaine Gregory enjoy dinner.
- Sister Elaine Gregory enjoys a mango.
- Sister Grace Malaney checks on the progress of her favorite vegetable: piqui.
- The threatening Brazilian sky doesn't daunt Sister Anne Shepard, either.
- A threatening sky doesn't daunt Sister Giselia Inacio Morais.
- Sister Maria das Gracas Silva
- Sister Maria das Gracas Silva at her desk.
- Sister Maria das Gracas Silva meets with her students.
- Sister Elaine Gregory blesses space in the house in Brazil.
- Sister Rita Killackey blesses office space while Sisters Maria das Gracas Silva and Susan Barber look on.
- Sister Anne Shepard blesses the chapel.
- Sister Joselaine Ferreira blesses office space.
- Sister Giselia Inacio Morais blesses nooks and crannies in the office.
- Top to bottom, in and out: Sisters bless the house in Brazil.
- Sisters Eliene Batista Gouvea, Anne Shepard and Susan Barber begin a service of blessing.
- Sisters prepare to bless new spaces in the Brazil house.